Saturday, February 28, 2009

VACATION - Day 8

Riders: MB and Bill
Miles: 80

I thought it was going to be too warm to ride today but a cold front must have moved in. It was 19 degrees when we got up so we decided to go for a short ride. Bill cooked me breakfast at the camp and we got out pretty early. We stopped at All Around Power in St. Jay and ordered the screws to fix Bill's belly pan and then stopped at Northeast Ag to pick up the bracket for my mirror.

We tempted fate again by parking in the lot on Rt. 114 in Burke where the tailgate got stolen. Luckily everything was still there when we got back. We rode Rt. 5N to Rt. 114 up to Island Pond. Leaving Burke was icy and slushy but the conditions got better in the higher elevations. We hit quite a few mud patches and icy spots but it wasn't too bad.

I spun my sled around again on Island Pond. The pond was totally iced over with no snow on top for lubrication and my sled loves to spin on that ice. I thought it was going to flip if I tried going over 35-40 miles per hour so I had to take it slow.

We got gas, a quick bite to eat and a hot drink at the Mobil. It was much colder today so we didn't want to take too many breaks out on the trail. We rode behind the pond and came back down through the power line (Rt. 102S). It was hard and flat but sections were so icy in the corners with lots of "surprises" on the trail. The steep parts of the power line were mud and ice. The pipeline was in much better shape so we were able to pick up the speed coming back down into Burke.

We definitely had variable riding conditions all week. I'm glad we were able to ride every day, even in the rain. I wish I had another week to ride. We're not going to be able to come back up for two weeks so hopefully they will get more snow and the conditions will improve.

We got back to the camp early, started packing the truck and getting things straightened so we can head back to the city first thing in the morning. I don't want to leave but I need to go collect those paychecks. I'll have to start planning the next vacation so I have something to look forward to.

Thanks for coming along for the ride. I'll post some vacation pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment