Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trails Close Early

Today is the day the trails were supposed to close. Unfortunately, we had too many warm days and not enough snowfall. We probably could have gotten out for one more ride in the higher elevations but we would have been confined to a very small area and the conditions would have been really bad. I don't like abusing my sled riding down muddy roads and over rocky trails to find what little snow is out there. The season is short enough so when the snow melts early and the trails have to close down it is very disappointing.

Practically everyone I know is excited about the warmer weather and looking forward to summer. I'm counting the days until I can ride again. It is such a long wait (December 15th).

We are deep into mud season in the Northeast Kingdom so it's pretty drab and dreary looking. It wasn't even a very good sugaring season either as they didn't have many warm days and cool nights which are the best conditions for a good sugar run. Not that we use much of it but maple sugar prices will be up this year.

We had some great riding this season but I didn't get nearly enough. I really wanted to get over 2,000 miles. I was close but didn't quite make it. I want more snow and a longer riding season. Maybe we need to think about moving to Canada or Alaska. I hear they have better snowmobiling conditions there.

I'll be posting about our ATV riding soon but I don't love it as much as I love snowmobiling. Riding the ATV is muddy and buggy and just not as much fun but you're welcome to come along for the rides.

Spring has sprung. I'm counting the days until I can ride again.

9 comments:

  1. I know you are disappointed that the trails are closed until next season.

    I can understand why you like snowmobiling better than the ATVs.

    Perhaps, searching for other summer sports/hobbies for the summer months may perk your interests!

    How about playing more golf? I was thinking about taking up the sport myself since I'm a social member to a private course via my maintenance fees here in Florida!

    Hugs,ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you did not get to enjoy the last ride as you so wanted to. The ATV is just a side bar to what you really want to do. Think of it as a way to keep your butt in shape for when get back on the snowmobile.....
    Hope you keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to put my name on the "Follower" List again. It was missing when I signed in to see if you added any new posts. Strange!

    Hugs, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. They had snow in Colorado ! VT. next?
    I was so looking forward to you taking over this blog with up-dates with your ATV. For what ever reason , I was thinking you would be pretty much riding the same trails minus the snow, and have an entire new selection of photos minus the snow. That was just my misunderstanding, Any way....I thought of you when I heard the SNOW news this mornming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dora -

    I was very excited to hear about the snow in Colorado. The trees in Vermont are bursting with color which means the snow isn't far behind.

    I had planned on updating here with tails of our ATV rides but, unfortunately, we didn't get to ride them at all this summer. We planned on doing the Mt. Washington ride in early August but our ATV's wouldn't run (long story).

    The reason we haven't been riding is we have been building an addition on our camp. I thought about posting our building progress on here but it didn't have anything to do with riding.

    We're on vacation next week and may try to sneak an ATV ride in before they close the trails for hunting season so I may be able to write about at least one ATV ride this year.

    I'm looking forward to the snow and can't wait to get out on the white trails.

    Thanks for checking in and thinking about me and hope to have some fun tails to tell soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do sound busy, It will be nice to post a picture of your progress on the addition to the camp. After all, this is the "home base" for your adventures.
    Years ago, I remember riders saying that they "had" to do the ATV rides to keep them sharp and in shape for the winter. or Vise-versa...LOL
    Would you ride the same trails? Hope that you can sneak a ride in. Enjoy
    Think Snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing the snow around here reminded me of how much joy it brings you. Enjoy the season !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved waking up to all the snow. I can't wait to go riding. I've been writing some posts about building our camp addition and should have those up before the trails open on Dec. 16th. Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pictures too, I would assume !

    ReplyDelete