Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spring Conditions

Riders: MB and Bill
Miles: 55


The trail conditions didn't look too good in our area so we decided to head up to Island Pond. We got to the backside of the pond parking area and it was packed. We went to back the trailer in the last space and some guy pulled up on his sled and said it was taken so we had to turn around and park down the road at the fish and game boat launch.


The pond was complete covered with smooth ice with not a speck of snow for traction so it was a slippery ride onto the trail. Good thing we didn't have to go the whole length across, we just cut around the back corner and got on the trail. My sled kept wanting to spin out and if I slowed down or sped up too much I just spun my track.


The snow was a little thin until we got a few miles up in the higher elevations. We didn't want to do any long road skips so we just circled around the Skidoo trail, the 2000 trail, 114 and 102. I could almost forget it was spring once we go up in the hills but I couldn't stop thinking this could be my last ride.


We didn't stay out very long, only 55 miles, but I'm hoping we'll get another couple of rides in before it turns to mud. We still have snow at the camp but the driveway will be mud by the next time we get up there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some heavy spring snowstorms to keep the trails going 'til the end of the riding season. The forecast doesn't look promising. Think snow.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Spring is almost here. Sorry you didn't have the perfect snow for a good ride.

    Hugs, RJ

    ReplyDelete